Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lesson #108: Red Velvet Cheesecake

I had a few red velvet recipes that I've been wanting to try lately. First, it was these red velvet cherry cupcakes. Next up is this red velvet swirl cheesecake. Even though I haven't liked red velvet desserts in the past, both of these recipes are really good. When I lived in Tucson, some of my friends and I sometimes went to a dessert restaurant/coffeehouse (linked here in case you interested...it looks like they changed a bit because they never used to serve non-dessert food). One of my friends always used to get the red velvet cake, and every time with no exception, she would realize that it didn't taste as good as it sounded. Maybe that's why I have a bad association with red velvet cake?

Anyway, this cheesecake is fun to make and tastes even better . You make a cheesecake batter, divide it in half, and flavor half with cocoa powder and red food coloring. Next, you swirl the cheesecake which is fun if you are super artistic or have an eye for perfect swirl (neither of which describes me!). I came to the conclusion that it tastes creamy and a little chocolatey even if it's not swirled perfectly!

 LESSON LEARNED: Remember the graham crackers I made for yesterday's post? Yep, I totally used the leftover crackers to make this crust! It turned out even better than using store bought graham crackers.

Recipe for Red Velvet Cheesecake

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...