Thursday, October 13, 2011

Lesson #25: Fresh Picked Apple Pie

As part of my birthday celebration last weekend, my family and I went to an apple orchard. My friends and I started this tradition when we lived in Tucson and I wanted to continue it when I moved back to Ohio.

We had a blast picking apples and the next logical step, of course, was to make apple pies! It was tons of fun to bake with my family and the pies turned out FANTASTIC! Really, you can't go wrong when you pick the apples and two hours later they are baking in the oven.

We used a mixture of sweet and tart apples (Golden Delicious and Jonathan). There isn't a ton of sugar in this pie recipe and the apple flavor really shines. The crust was tender & flaky and we cut out some shapes using cute pie cutters I bought from Williams-Sonoma.We topped the pies with some vanilla ice cream and homemade caramel sauce!





LESSON LEARNED: Fresh picked apples taste the best!


Recipe for Double Crust Apple Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...