Sunday, September 18, 2011

Lesson #10: Brown Sugar Pots de Creme with Caramel Sauce

When I was reading my Food & Wine magazine last month, I cut out a recipe for Butterscotch Pots de Creme. I LOVE the buttery, caramel taste of butterscotch, so I thought I would try this recipe. If you notice, however, the title of this recipe doesn't have butterscotch in it. Let me tell you why! :)

Well, as I started to gather ingredients, I noticed the recipe called for dark brown sugar and I only had light brown sugar. I know you can add molasses to brown sugar to make it "darker", but I only had a little time to make this dessert and I didn't want to take the extra step. Next, in the first step of the recipe, you melt butter and add the brown sugar and cook it until it becomes bubbly. This is what should give the dish a butterscotch flavor. I must have not cooked the sugar enough in this stage because the end result was did not look like the picture and there was not a pronounced butterscotch flavor.

Even with these potential mishaps, these desserts were amazing! The custards were extremely creamy and had a molasses, brown sugar flavor. The caramel sauce on top reinforced the nutty flavor of the dessert. Topped with a little extra whipped cream, these desserts were better than your average restaurant dessert!




LESSON LEARNED: Cook brown sugar longer to get a butterscotch flavor!

Recipe for Brown Sugar Pots de Creme with Caramel Sauce

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...