Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lesson #116: Mini Molten Lava Cakes

About a year and a half ago, my husband and I went on a week long cruise to the Caribbean. While I wasn't too impressed with the food on the ship, I did enjoy the molten chocolate cakes served with dinner. One night last week I had an intense craving for chocolate, so I looked around in our pantry and discovered we had all the ingredients to make these cakes.

At first I wasn't sure that this recipe would work out. I had to scale back the quantity from the recipe I had and I wanted to try to flip the cake out of the dish onto a plate without breaking. Well, it turns out that you need a little finesse and patience to succeed. The first time I baked one of these cakes, I couldn't wait the five minutes of cooling before removing the cake from the dish, so it totally broke open and I had chocolate "lava" everywhere! :)

Fortunately, the next day, when I baked up another cake I waited and it turned out perfectly. It still tasted just as good as the night before, so don't worry if they break open!

PS - I broke open these cakes on purpose so I could show you the chocolate lava!


LESSON LEARNED: You can mix up the batter for these cakes and refrigerate them for a few days before baking. Just add a few minutes onto the baking time!

Recipe for Mini Molten Lava Cakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...